My first year at EVO ’12 not only broadened my perspective, it made some dreams of mine come true.
I love checking things off my life list. If you need help compiling a list, my new friend Karina can help with ideas.
Anytime you’re a newbie to a conference, it’s natural to have butterflies, fears, and doubts. At EVO ’12 there are nearly 400 talented, high-powered, smart, gorgeous women in attendance. What I didn’t realize, was how generous they really were, and how welcomed I would feel around them.
My three most memorable moments at EVO ’12:
1. Hot Air Balloon
I had the pleasure of hanging out with Lindsey, Helen, Kathy, Carly, Karina, Jenny, and Monika. We all won a contest sponsored by Candle Warmers, Etc. We helped set-up the balloon we’d ride in. Did you know there are four pins that hold the basket to the balloon. Yep. I put two of them in. I made them double-check my work – because! I was surprised how smooth the ride was, how peaceful it is floating in the air, and how much I want to do it again, with my family. If you ever get a chance, jump on it.
2. Flash Mob
Yes. Yes I did. Dancing is my favorite. I was a dancer as a young ‘un and miss it immensely. For now, my daughters and I are glued, like so many of you to #SYTYCD.
Imagine my glee, when my wonderful friend, and confidante, Jenny invited me to the group of super-secret-keeping-dancers, to preform a flash mob right after her Ignite speech on the first night of EVO ’12. Sweetness!
I was so glad to be on stage with Jenny, Lindsey, Emily, Amy, Karina, Jenny, Jordan, and so many others. I couldn’t stop smiling it was as such a rush. When Lindsey and I went back to our seats, we were shaking. What a blast!
I can’t begin to share how it feels to be surrounded by these miraculous women. My fabulous room roomie, Carissa, who sometimes likes to cuddle (*grin*) set the tone for my entire four days in Park City. She is a gifted woman, with a knack for embracing people, and connecting them. She’s also crazy knowledgeable, and it was hard to get to sleep for want of talking to her all night. I’m dubbing her Momma Duck, and Oracle.
My other roommates. SHUT.THE.DOOR. Brilliant.
- Caryn can spot swag a mile away. She is fearless in engaging with people, and she’s thoughtful, and generous.
- Casey from Indiana is a fireball of humor, love, and braiding ninja skills. She made me giggle every time she whispered, “you’re so pretty.”
- Chrysula and I have been twitter buddies for a while, and when she opened her mouth to speak in real life, I started to crush hard on her. She is a powerful force for good in the world, and her lovely accent will mesmerize you.
- Lu is a fierce force to be reckoned with. Her energy is bright, contagious and now I want to have a theme song just like she does.
- Susan and I were always destined to meet each other. She has a smile that brightens you up immediately, and the fact that we both sleep with our loveys, have the same skirt, and love SYTYCD, dude we are kindred sistas.
I literally wish I could take them home with me, even if they all decide to run for the hills, as I chase them.
There are many other ladies I met that I want to share with you. That post is coming soon, as are the people, and talks that moved me.
Our world, in an age of social media is shrinking. We are all connected as fellow human beings. I want, and now my daughters want to give dignity to those that have so little. I have a voice, and I have you, my wonderful, friendly community, to work together so that we can empower, inspire, and connect those who need us. You’ll soon see posts about the Global Soap project, Shot@Life, and the UN Foundation.
My personal theme for this next year, “Do More Good.”